It's been a few years since I've kept a personal journal, maybe because I type more than handwrite, and I never got in the pattern, but whatever the reason, I need to journal more.
I need a private place to vent. I've learned the hard way venting in a public space is not only unhealthy but harmful to my mental health.
I was on Tik Tok for a time of three weeks. That's how long it took me to become "viral" in a sense, and for me to learn how toxic an environment it was. I had posted a kind of judgmental post about inappropriate language saying I really supported creators who didn't have it in their posts, and that people who used that language had low vocabulary skills and should have left that bad habit in their teenage years. Too opinionated for the interweb. Even though I still feel like inappropriate language does not have a place in society, I could have worded it more respectfully.
If it weren't a problem, why do so many apologize when they cuss around certain people, or edit what they say in front of higher ups, or family members. If it was really appropriate, wouldn't it be okay to speak those words everywhere? But it's not. It's considered crass, disrespectful language.
There are studies that say that cussing is actually good for people going through painful situations and allows them to relieve some of their painful symptoms and that it allows them to vent in a non-physical way. But on the more negative side, swearing can negatively impact how the swearer is perceived by others, which may lead to social isolation and depression. Cussing is more prevalent now than it ever was when I was younger, and so it seems more accepted. But I don't think it means it is any more healthy for you. I think people have just justified why bad language is fine in certain situations.
But regardless of my thoughts on this, sharing it in such a secular space where I knew practically no one was not the best idea. People can take a sentence and twist it out of context, only focusing on that part of your message when there was so much more you had said to support why you felt that way. But it seems this platform is popular for calling out people and crucifying them over the injustices they feel.
Not a safe place for someone who is supportive of Christian theology. I deleted the account but the damage was done. But with that, a lesson was learned. In the future, I will be more careful how and who I say my thoughts to.

No comments:
Post a Comment