Saturday, August 16, 2008

Life's hard lessons in Ogden

Life in Ogden has been adventurous to say the least. I feel very unsettle in my uncomfortable apartment. I have learned my lesson with living with people outside of my faith. They do things I've never been okay with. Others may do it with ease, but it has been hard for me. My parents tried to convince me not to, but I had always loved being a missionary and what better way than moving in where you can be an example at all times.

It wasn't cherry pie, that's for sure. But I feel I learned a lesson that couldn't be learned any other way. It's so important for me to surround myself with good influences who live and believe as I do. It's not to say I don't want to be friends and love them, it's just that it is too hard trying to blend the two in the same house. It still continues till the end of the month, so there is more to learn I suppose. I have messed up, of course, but I will never learn if I don't sometimes fall down.

Besides that, I have been getting my new classroom ready. It is an old school that we have moved into for the meantime until our new school is built. It is an exceptionally challenging school to learn as well as teach in. That is why I chose to move here. I never wanted to teach in a traditional school. I wanted a more progressive schooling where there was hands on learning, and inquiry based teaching. It challenges me as well as my students. I'll be teaching 3-5 grades so I shouldn't be bored. At first ;)

To all those who keep asking, I am not currently working on my book. It doesn't mean I won't finish it, but I want to leave it for awhile. I feel I got everything out that needs to be out and now I need to let the feelings stand alone awhile until I'm ready to pick it up again. It was harder than I thought. So instead I am working on a children's book series. It is so fun! If nothing else, they will be amusing stories for my students.

As far as relationships go, I have met someone recently that has a twinkle in their eye for me. I don't know how much so that is all I will say for now. We are getting to know each other VERY SLOW, and I am surprised how calm I am about that! If nothing else, he has been a fun friend to be with. I miss Vegas and the friendships I had there. But on to a new page right??

2 comments:

April said...

What kind of school are you working at? Are there a lot of Spanish-speaking students up in Ogden? I used to volunteer at a school here in Salt Lake that was dual-immersion... meaning the kids spent half the day learning in English and the other half in Spanish. It was so awesome, and I've thought that someday maybe I'd like to teach on the Spanish side of that. Progressive schools are really great, mostly it's just great to work with students and help them grow and learn! I'm sure you are going to love it so much; I can just imagine what a great teacher you will be, Jen!!

Amber said...

I've been wondering how you are fairing up there! I'm glad to here you are alive! :D muah!