I avoid the teacher's lounge. Especially of some teachers. I've never liked to get into teacher gossip unless I am really struggling with a student and need to vent or ask for suggestions. I would rather eat with my students. Sometimes they are more interesting to talk to :)
Today was especially bad. I am and have been feeling the most negative vibes from one of my colleagues. She is not LDS and made sure to let us know that right away. She is very open about how much she thinks the LDS are too prominent here in Utah. I agree to a point, although I believe that her coming from the bible belt gives her no reasons to spit at someone over-doing it on what they believe.
So I listen to my peers talk about how the Mormons run the show here in Utah. I don't really add anything unless one of their opinions is completely wrong about what I believe. This one teacher is very opinionated in many aspects. She has somehow gained the respect of the other teachers despite what she has said that would have naturally offended someone who was remotely religious. The rest of the teachers are inactive members of my faith and it is discouraging to see their beliefs and faith melt away with her disagreements. The only peer I have who is active allows such talk around her and doesn't even attempt to stand up for their ridiculous claims. It is discouraging to me that these people grew up where the church was strong. They probably never had a class where there wasn't at least one LDS peer with them. I guess that can be seen in two ways: Too overwhelming or just enough support.
Growing up in Georgia, I had to defend myself multiple times on what I believed. Sometimes it was a matter of whether I could be friends with them or not. I truly found my friends by standing for what I believed...and I was crucified in high school for having morals. I hated high school and still have bitter memories of those years. People in the south are brutal to someone who believes differently than they do. And if they don't bother you for that, they bother you for the fact that you can't even bend the rules on exceptions. "You're too good Jenny." It didn't bother me after awhile because more than anything, I know what I believe.
I never have doubted. In fact, I may have had struggles with some of the doctrine, but I never let that wedge my faith. I feel peaceful inside when I have trusted in the Lord during those times, and within days or weeks of feeling those struggles, it was all smoothed out and my faith became firmer. There is nothing in this world that means more to me than my faith in God and His son Jesus Christ. I will not downplay those feelings, I will not joke lightly about Christ's Gospel or my relationship with them, and I will not allow myself to stand by and watch ignorant people rip something apart that they obviously haven't felt. Knowledge and answers from Heavenly Father are available to the sincere and truly penitent. It is worth that sacrifice. Sometimes, I'll admit, I am not as vibrant in those convictions, but never will I waver, and never will my faith fail. I will continue to feed it until I am called back to live with them again. And I will rest....but for now....there is work to do!
Tuesday, February 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
sweetie...
im so sorry to hear that. it is hard.
its not the same situation but i walked out of institute the other day because my teacher said something that didnt sit right with me. i cried for half an hour straight. i wont share details, because this is a public blog...
i know everyones entitled to their opinions, but sometimes its wrong the way it comes out, even mormons...
i just wanted to say i love you
Post a Comment