Tuesday, August 5, 2008

crazy.....

So here I am in Ogden Utah! Life has begun again. I'm extremely busy again and life is good. Owen, a friend of mine, reminded me when I was deciding where to live that I should not rule out Utah just because of the "weird Mormons" that lived there, and the excessive snow. He encouraged me that this was a great opportunity to start over. No one knew me and it was a fresh start in life. So I went to my interview with eyes half-way shut and realized after many nights on my knees and after talking to anyone that would listen that this is where I was supposed to be.

So I started wrapping up my life in Vegas, a little taking the trash out, and moving to a place where I potentially did not know a single person. It was hard at first, but alot of things fell together, or I should say apart right before I left Vegas. I really found out what true friendship meant and I learned a little about who I am deep, deep inside. And I was truly happy that I had stayed strong through a long summer.

It was great in Ogden. The lady that I work closely with was fabulous and I loved my new condo that I shared with two other girls. Things have recently gotten sticky with the housing and I pretty much will have to find somewhere else to live next month, but it was fun while it lasted....
I met some pretty amazing people right away and life has been a lot more exciting of late.

Today was my first orientation with the new awesome school I'm at. It's top of the line! It's the most progressive school I have found so far and it's exactly the way I like to teach. But yet its challenging enough where I constantly am trying to stretch myself. One day I will be a Master Teacher and life will rock! So there is a little update.

Still no relationships to report on...although I have a date tonight so stay tuned ;)

1 comment:

April said...

Hey Jen, I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "weird Mormons", but let me tell you my opinion on that: There are weird Mormons everywhere (actually there are weird people in general everywhere). The reason it's commonly said that Utah is full of weird Mormons is only because a higher percentage of the population is Mormon in Utah. So, there's going to be more people who are "weird" just because there are more people in that population generally.

Let me say it this way: Pretend 5% of the Mormon population is weird. If there are 20 people (say in a small branch in Russia), then 5% of them would be only one person. So only one person is weird. Okay, change that number of people to 2,000 (say in a huge ward boundary in Utah). Now how many weird people are there? One hundred. So yeah, that's a lot more weird people than just one, but the population is much greater, so if you break it down, the proportion of weird people to normal is actually the same.

I've lived in Utah my whole life, so I get somewhat defensive when people talk about "Utah Mormons" in a degrading way (not that I'm easily offended...). Once I went out with this guy from California, and on our second date he told me he'd never live in Utah because he couldn't stand how the Utah Mormons just lived in the "gray area", like they weren't black or white on the Gospel, they just floated around and did what they wanted because everyone was Mormon so they could get away with whatever. He said in California you have to be super strong because no one else is Mormon and you'll fall if you don't stay strong. I was like, "Okay, so you know how Utah Mormons grow up and live the Gospel even though you didn't grow up in Utah and see it for yourself?" Well my mom grew up in Florida, and she's told me plenty of stories from her youth of friends who lived in that "gray area", and yeah, I know people from Utah who've lived that way, but I also know so many who were totally faithful. Blah, blah, blah. Now I'm just getting carried away.

Anyway, I'm opinionated on that. Utah Mormons are not weird. People everywhere in general are good and trying to do what's right, but there are always going to be a few weird ones mixed in the group, and it's not right when the whole population is judged by those few.

I know you weren't really being mean when you wrote that on your blog, but I still wanted to respond to it. Okay? Love you.